I have taught in three Nunavut communities and am now in northern Alberta, teaching in a mixed Cree, Chipewyan, and Metis community.

Thursday 31 March 2011

When you live in the north, it's important to have friends in the south. GOOD friends, or family, who like you enough to go out of their way for you.  I have a daughter in Toronto who regularly stuffs express mail envelopes with the things I can't live without, but this week she is going way beyond that.  This week she is buying me a kayak. 

You can do practically anything on the internet, but buying a used kayak from a private seller is problematic, for obvious reasons.  He sends me pictures of a lovely boat, but is it HIS lovely boat?  Is there a hole in the back side big enough to put my head through?  You see my problem.  So, my darling daughter, who knows nothing about kayaks, is going to see the seller and the boat, armed with a copy of the picture he sent me.  If everything is as advertised she will buy it, and then she really gets to prove she loves me...she has to get it home.  It's a small kayak, as kayaks go, but it's not going to fit into the trunk of her Focus.  It has to go on top.  So, why are they making cars with no rain gutters to clamp to and holes to tie through anyway?  There have been a couple of phone calls, a trip to Canadian Tire to get a foam cartop cradle kit, and now she's ready to go ... I hope.  I'm telling myself that the guy who's selling the boat must know how to tie it down, and it's only half an hour on the 401, and there's a Canadian Tire near the seller's house for emergency supplies (I checked).  But I won't completely be sure it's mine until suppertime Sunday when I hear that they made it.

Then I will owe her, big time.

1 comment:

  1. So. What happened about the kayak? The suspense! The tension! Do, do tell us how the story ends.

    ReplyDelete