I have taught in three Nunavut communities and am now in northern Alberta, teaching in a mixed Cree, Chipewyan, and Metis community.

Thursday 10 March 2011

It's been too cold here to get out much for several weeks, but this past weekend the afternoon temperature went up to -15.  It's amazing how warm that feels when you've been dealing with windchills to -40.  So, I geared up and went for a walk, following the ice road out to the first river crossing.  I love to listen to the silence out there - nothing but the wind.  There is nothing as quiet as frozen landscape.  I sat for awhile on a snowbank in the sun, having gotten warm on the walk out. The wind, which had been behind me on the way out, made the return walk much colder and I arrived home chilled; a good reminder of the lesson the Inuit taught me: not to get too hot or too cold out in the cold.

Now it is back down to -23 with 10 degrees of windchill - no sitting in snowbanks for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment