I have taught in three Nunavut communities and am now in northern Alberta, teaching in a mixed Cree, Chipewyan, and Metis community.

Friday 1 April 2011

Spring is on its way here, with daytime temperatures inching above the freezing mark and the snow slowly disappearing.  The receding snow has brought a revelation to me: Fort Chip has paved roads and sidewalks!  I have to explain how unique this is. This is the first northern town, of the seven I have lived or visited, to be so equipped.  Even Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut with a population of 6500, had very little paving and no sidewalks when I was there.  There is something incongruous and slightly disorienting about walking down a smooth, level concrete sidewalk with wilderness in full view and less than a city block away.  I'm not sure I like it, but being a good citizen (most of the time), I walk on the sidewalks (most of the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment